Knife-and-Fork Egg Salad Sandwiches with Chives
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup finely chopped chives
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped celery leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 4 large slices pumpernickel bread
- 1½ tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 small bunch watercress, stems trimmed
- Arrange eggs in a single layer in a medium pot and cover with cold water by 1″. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then immediately remove pot from heat. Cover and let rest for 8–10 minutes undisturbed. Drain eggs, leaving them in the pot; shake the pot to crack their shells. Cover eggs with cold water, swish around, then drain. Cover again, this time with icy-cold water (add a few ice cubes if necessary), and set aside to let chill for 20 minutes. Peel and coarsely chop eggs.
- Combine eggs, half the chives, celery leaves, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl and fold together gently to combine. Add mayonnaise and vinegar, and fold again, being careful not to mash up the eggs.
- Toast bread lightly, then butter each slice on one side. Arrange a bit of the watercress on top of each piece of toast, buttered side up. Dollop each piece with a generous scoop of egg salad. Transfer the sandwiches to plates. Sprinkle with remaining chives and serve immediately.